Only for Admin

Uses of If and Wish( Part – 1)

Uses of If and Wish( Part – 1)

Compare these examples:
               
1.       Sara has lost her watch. She tells Sue:
               Sara: I've lost my watch. Have you seen it anywhere?
               SUE: No, but if I find it, I'll tell you.
         In this example, Sue feels there is a real possibility that she will find the watch. So she says: if l find …….. , I’ll……                         
2.       Joe says: If I found a wallet in the street, I'd take it to the police station.
  This is a different type of situation. Here, Joe doesn't expect to find a wallet in the street; he is               imagining a situation that will probably not happen. So he says:  if I found……….I'd (=I would) . . . . (not if I find ……… , I’ll ……)
When you imagine something like this, you use if + past - (if I found / if there was / if we didn't etc.).      If I won a million pounds
But the meaning is not past:
Ø  What would you do if you won a million pounds? (we don't really expect this to happen)
Ø   I don't really want to go to their party, but I probably will go. They'd be upset if r didn't go.
Ø   If there was (or were) an election tomorrow, who would you vote for?


Click Here for part - 2




We do not normally use would in the if-part of the sentence:
Ø  I'd be very frightened if somebody pointed a gun at me. (not if somebody would point)
Ø   If I didn't go to their party, they'd be upset. (not If I wouldn't go)
But you can use if ... would when you ask somebody to do something:
Ø  (from a formal letter) I would be grateful if you would me know your decision as soon as possible.
 In the other part of the sentence (not the if-part) we use would/ wouldn't:
Ø  If you took more exercise, you'd (z you would) feel better. 
Ø  I'm not tired. If I went to bed now, I wouldn't sleep.
Ø  Would you mind if r used your phone?
                Could and might are also possible:          
ü  If you took more exercise, you might feel better. (= it is possible that you would feel better)en
ü   If it stopped raining, we could go out. , (= we would be able to go out)


Do not use when in sentences like those on this page:
ü  They'd be upset if I didn't go to their party. (not when I didn't go)

ü  What would you do if you were bitten by a snake? (not when you were bitten)

Post a Comment

0 Comments