Only for Admin

Uses of some and any

               Uses of some and any
In general we use some (also somebody/someone/something) in positive sentences and any (also anybody etc.) in negative sentences:
              some
We bought some flowers.
He's busy. He's got some work to do.
There's somebody at the door,
I'm hungry. I want something to eat.
          any
We didn't buy any flowers.
He's lazy. He never does any work.
There isn't anybody at the door.
       I’m not hungry. I don't want anything
, to eat.

We use any in the following sentences because the meaning is negative:
·        She went out without any money. (she didn't take any money with her)
·        He refused to eat anything. (he didn't eat anything)
·        Hardly anybody passed the examination. (z almost nobody passed)
We use both some and any in questions. We use some to talk about a person or thing that we know exists, or we think exists:
·        Are you waiting for somebody? (I think you are waiting for somebody)
                    We use some in questions when we offer or ask for things:
ü  Would you like something to eat? (there is something to eat)
ü  Can I have some sugar, please? (there is probably some sugar I can have)
**8But in most questions, we use any. We do not know if the thing or person exists:
Ø  'HÃ¥ve you got any luggage?' 'No, I haven't.
Ø  I can't find my bag. Has anybody seen it?
ü  We often use any after if:
  • ·        If there are any letters for me, can you send them on to this address?

·      If anyone has any questions, I'll be pleased to answer them.
·        Let me know if you need anything.
                     The following sentences have the idea of if:              
D I'm sorry for any trouble I've caused. (g if I have caused any trouble) a Anyone who wants to do the exam mugt tell me by Friday. (z if there is anyone)
also use any with the meaning 'it doesn't matter which':
O You can take any bus. They all go to the centre. (z it doesn't matter which bus you take) a 'Sing a song.' 'Which song shall I sing?' 'Any song. I don't mind.' (z it doesn't matter which song)
C Come and see me any time you want.
C.) 'Let's go, out somewhere.' 'Where shall we go?' 'Anywhere. I just want to go out•'
We left the door unlocked. Anybody could have come in. Compare something and anything:
O A: I'm hungry. I want something to eat.
B: What would you like?
A: I don't mind. Anything . (z it doesn't matter what)

Somebody/someone/anybody/anyone are singular words: C Someone is here to see you.
But we often use they/their after these words:
C Someone has forgotten their umbrella. (his or her umbrella)

0 If anybody wants to leave early, they

Post a Comment

0 Comments