Only for Admin

Common Mistakes in English (Part -2)

Common Mistakes in English (Part -2) 

Anybody/anything else
Incorrect: He is stronger than anybody
Correct: He is stronger than anybody else
Incorrect: This food is better than anything.
Correct: This food is better than anything else.
Note: In making a comparison between one person or thing and all others of the same kind, the word "else" is essential after "anybody", "anything" etc.
Only one/ones
Incorrect : This is the only that I like.
 Correct : This is the only one that I like.
Incorrect : These are the only that I like.
 Correct : These are the only ones that I like.
Note: The demonstrative pronouns "one" and "ones" are used in place of a singular and a plural noun respectively. A Sentence without this pronoun is ungrammatical.
Allow + tö-infinitivé
Incorrect : He allowed me go.
Correct : He allowed me to go.
The verb ‘allow’ is followed by a to infinitive. But you can say
He let me go.
That means "let" is followed by a bare infinitive.
Want someone to do something
Incorrect : I want to tell me the truth.
Correct : I want you to tell me the truth.
Incorrect : I don't like to help me.
Correct : I don't like her to help me.

Note: With finite verbs like "want", "like" etc. the subject   of the infinitive must be mentioned if it is different from the subject of the finite verb. In the examples above, "you" is the subject of the infinitive "to help" 

Post a Comment

0 Comments