Only for Admin

Some Important rules of completing sentences / uses of provided / provided that / providing that / if / whether / in case + Until and Subjunctive Mood Till+ince/ as if / as though

Some Important rules of completing sentences.
Provided / provided that / providing that / if / whether / in case = if (condition)
These are used to make complex sentences. It is to remember that we have to put a clause after these words and to complete the sentence.
Structure : Sub1 + verb ----- + provided / provided that / providing that / if / whether / in case + sub2 + verb + extension
1.       She will shine in life provided that she works hard.
2.       I must agree to go providing that my expenses are paid
3.       We’ll start our programme if circumstances favour us.
4.       The plane will take off provided the weather is good.
5.       I’ve bought a chicken in case her sister stays to lunch.
6.       Let’s buy a bottle of wine in case Roger comes.
Until and Till ( until = till not , till = up to )
1.      Wait until the rain stops
2.      Wait me till I do not come back.
3.      His mother will be nursing him until he comes round.
4.      My wife will wait till I do not telephone.
The Subjunctive Mood
A verb is in the subjunctive mood when it expresses a condition which is doubtful or not factual. It is most often found in a clause beginning with the word if. It is also found in clauses following a verb that expresses a doubt, a wish, regret, request, demand, or proposal.
These are verbs typically followed by clauses that take the subjunctive:
ask, demand, determine, insist, move, order, pray, prefer, recommend, regret, request, require, suggest, and wish.
The subjunctive for the present tense third person singular drops the -s or -es so that it looks and sounds like the present tense for everything else. For present tense there will be is and for past tense there will be were.
1.      Incorrect: If I was you, I would run.
Correct: If I were you, I would run.
2.      Incorrect: I wish he was able to type faster.
Correct: I wish he were able to type faster.
3.      Incorrect: His requirement is that everyone is computer literate.
Correct: His requirement is that everyone be computer literate.
4.      Incorrect: He recommended that each driver reports his tips.
Correct: He recommended that each driver report his tips.
Sometimes we may use the conditional auxiliary verbs of could, should, or would to express the same sense.
Subjunctive: I wish he were kinder to me.
Conditional: I wish he would be kinder to me.
To be + adjective / noun / noun phrase
If feel, suppose, imagine, report, discover, know, judge, assume, consider, find, think, believe, declare, prove are used as verbs in sentences we can complete the next part of the sentences using To be + adjective / noun / noun phrase
1.       I know him to be honest.
2.       We supposed him to be a gentle man.
3.       The lady was judged to be guilty.
4.       We considered him honest. (OR, to be honest.)
5.       The chief guest declared the sports open
6.       1971 is the year when Bangladesh became independent.
7.       New York is the city where business magnets reside.
Sentence with “since/ as if / as though”
Ø  If a sentence with since/ as if / as though in the first clause is present indefinite tense / present perfect tense, the second clause will be past indefinite tense.
Ø  If a sentence with since / as if / as though in the first clause is past tense, the second clause will be past perfect tense.
1.      Many years have passed since I visited India.
2.      He talks to me as though he knew everything.
3.      She proceeded as if I had not spoken anything.
4.      Mr. Javed behaves as if he were all in all in this office.
5.      He submitted the form quickly as if it had been the last
6.      I wanted a drink but she had had another drink.
7.      Mr. Javed behaves as if he were all in all in this office.
8.      It was many years since I had gone abroad.






Post a Comment

0 Comments