Only for Admin

Some important rules of right form of verbs

Some important rules of right form of verbs.

Sentence with “since”
Ø  If a sentence with since in the first clause is present indefinite tense / present perfect tense, the second clause will be past indefinite tense.
Ø  If a sentence with since in the first clause is past tense, the second clause will be past perfect tense.

1.      Many years have passed since I ___________________ ( visit) India.
2.      I wanted a drink but she __________________________ ( have) another drink.
3.      It was many years since I _________________________ (go ) abroad.
4.      It was long since I _______________________ ( see) him last.
5.      It is many years since I ___________________ ( come ) to Dhaka.
6.      Many years have passed since his father  _______________________ ( die)
7.      It was many years since they first __________________ (meet)
Answers :
1.      Many years have passed since I visited India.
2.      I wanted a drink but she had had another drink.
3.      It was many years since I had gone abroad.
4.      It was long since I had seen him last.
5.      It is many years since I came to Dhaka.
6.      Many years have passed since his father  died.  
7.      It was many years since they had first met.  

(Donate Car to Charity California)



Sentence with ( it is time, it is high time, fancy, wish )
Ø  If there is ( it is time, it is high time, fancy, wish ) in the sentence the next verb will be in the fast form.

1.      It is time you ______________ ( leave) the room.
2.      I fancy I _____________ (turn) pale.
3.      It is high time you ________________ (go) there.


 Answers:
1)      It is time you left the room.
2)      I fancy I turned pale.
3)      It is high time you went there.


Conditional Sentence (with – if)

Ø  If + present Indefinite  +  Future Indefinite ( Subject + shall/ will + object)
Ø  If + past Indefinite + past conditional ( Subject + would/ could / might + V1 )
Ø  If + past perfect tense + perfect conditional ( subject + would have / could have / might have + V3 )

1.      If he works hard, he ________________ (shine) in life.
2.      If he came , I ________________ ( go)
3.      I would help him if he _____________ ( want )


4.      If I had seen him, I _____________________ ( tell) the matter.
5.      If you had started earlier, you _______________ (catch) the bus.
6.      If I had a typewriter , I ______________ (type ) myself.
7.      I will not go out if it _________________ ( rains )
8.      I would have brought a mule if you ___________________ (tell) me before.
Donate Car to Charity California

Answer :
1)      If he works hard, he will shine in life.
2)      If he came , I would go
3)      I would help him if he wanted.
4)      If I had seen him, I would have told the matter.
5)      If you had started earlier, you might have caught the bus.
6)      If I had a typewriter , I could have typed myself.
7)      I will not go out if it rains.
8)      I would have brought a mule if you had told me before.


Sentence with (Just, just now, already, yet, ever, lately, recently)
Ø  If there is ((Just, just now, already, yet, ever, lately, recently) in a sentence will be in present perfect tense.



1.      He ______________ ( go) out just now.
2.      ___________ you ever __________________ ( be) to Dhaka ?
3.      I _____________ ( see) him recently.
4.      Have you ever _________________ ( be) to Cox’sbazar.
5.      I ______________ ( work ) there recently.


Answers :
1)      He has gone out just now.
2)      Have you ever been to Dhaka ?
3)      I have seen him recently.
4)      Have you ever been to Cox’sbazar.?
5)      I have worked there recently.

(Donate Car to Charity California

If there is ( as well as , along with , together with, and not, in addition to, accompanied by ) in a sentence there verb will be according to the first subject of the sentence .
1.      I and not my friends __________________ ( be) to blame.
2.      Money in addition to wealth __________________ ( make) a man happy.
3.      They accompanied by their father ___________________ ( arrive)
4.      Ram along with his brother ___________________ ( be ) present.
5.      Ali as well as his brothers  _________________ ( come) here.


Answers :
1)      I and not my friends am to blame.
2)      Money in addition to wealth makes a man happy.
3)      They accompanied by their father ___________________ ( arrive)
4)      Ram along with his brother ___________________ ( be ) present.
5)      Ali as well as his brothers  _________________ ( come) here.
(Business , Lawyer, Nokia , Vehicles4) 

If two objects join with or, nor, either …. Or , neither……nor , not……only, but……..also, then the verb will follow the 2nd subject.
1.      He or his brother _______________ (be) absent.
2.      Neither he nor his brother ____________ (be) present.
3.      Either he or I __________ ( be) mistaken.
4.      Neither she nor her sisters ______________ (be) absent.
If (the number / many a) becomes a part of a subject, then the verb will be in singular form.
1.      The number of students    _________ (be) 500.
2.      Many a student __________ (ruin ) his future.
‘More than one’ is followed by a singular verb but’ more than two or three’ is followed by a plural verb.
1.      More than a boy ________ 9be) guilty.
2.      More than two boys _______ (be) present.

(Donate Car to Charity California

Verbs those reside after ‘ had better , had rather, would better , would rather, let, must, need , dare ‘ will always be present form. If there is ‘to’ before the verb , then it will be omitted.
1.      I had better __________ (go) home by this time.
2.      I will not let you ________ ( to enter) the classroom.
If there is bare infinitives or a modal auxiliary verb after the subject, then the main verb will be in present form.
Bare Infinitives: let, make, see , behold, watch, hear, bid , need, dare , feel , cannot, but, used to
Modal Auxiliaries: can, could, may, might, shall, should , will , would, ought to , must
1.      I watched him __________ ( leave) the room.
2.      I saw him ________________ (go) in silence.
3.      You ought to ____________ (go) there.
4.      He made me ___________ (do) the work.
5.      I cannot but ___________ (shed) tears.
Donate Car to Charity California


Part – 2  ( With Answers)
If two objects join with or, nor, either …. Or , neither……nor , not……only, but……..also, then the verb will follow the 2nd subject.
1.         He or his brother _______________ (be) absent.
2.         Neither he nor his brother ____________ (be) present.
3.         Either he or I __________ ( be) mistaken.
4.         Neither she nor her sisters ______________ (be) absent.
Answers :
1.         He or his brother is absent.
2.         Neither he nor his brother is present.
3.         Either he or I am mistaken.
4.         Neither she nor her sisters were/are absent.

(Donate Car to Charity California


If (the number / many a) becomes a part of a subject, then the verb will be in singular form.
1.         The number of students    _________ (be) 500.
2.         Many a student __________ (ruin ) his future.
Answers :
1.         The number of students    is  500.
2.         Many a student ruins his future.
‘More than one’ is followed by a singular verb but’ more than two or three’ is followed by a plural verb.
1.         More than a boy ________ 9be) guilty.
2.         More than two boys _______ (be) present.

(Donate Car to Charity California


Answers :
1.         More than a boy is  guilty.
2.         More than two boys are/were present.

Verbs those reside after ‘ had better , had rather, would better , would rather, let, must, need , dare ‘ will always be present form. If there is ‘to’ before the verb , then it will be omitted.
1.         I had better __________ (go) home by this time.
2.         I will not let you ________ ( to enter) the classroom.
Answers :
1.         I had better go home by this time.
2.         I will not let you enter the classroom.

If there is bare infinitives or a modal auxiliary verb after the subject, then the main verb will be in present form.
Bare Infinitives: let, make, see , behold, watch, hear, bid , need, dare , feel , cannot, but, used to
Modal Auxiliaries : can, could, may , might , shall , should , will , would, ought to , must

1.         I watched him __________ ( leave) the room.
2.         I saw him ________________ (go) in silence.
3.         You ought to ____________ (go) there.
4.         He made me ___________ (do) the work.
5.         I cannot but ___________ (shed) tears.

(Donate Car to Charity California


Answers :
1.         I watched him  leave the room.
2.         I saw him go in silence.
3.         You ought to go there.
4.         He made me do the work.
5.         I cannot but shed tears.






Post a Comment

0 Comments